Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The journey of faith continues..

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 4:52am

It seems crazy to think that 9 weeks has gone by here in Africa. This truly has been a unique experience so far, one that I will forever cherish. The last time I wrote I was on my way to Musoma, Tanzania, with a general plan in mind for the next 6 weeks.As planned I caught an ‘Akamba’ bus from Kampala on Tuesday 28th October. That day was just a little crazy for I still had not yet bought my bus ticket. Early in the morning I went to the bus depo and bought a ticket while leaving my hiking pack in Barbara’s car at work. I raced around thanks to the trusty (well, maybe not so trusty) boda boda’s (public transport – motorbikes). Thankfully no accidents were had but if that were to occur, it’s always comforting to know that the driver wears a helmet while passengers don’t! Good to know.. I went to the markets for some last minute necessities, then up to an internet cafĂ© to book my flight to SA. I thought it was the responsible thing to do since that flight was only 2 weeks away. With minutes to spare I once again caught a boda boda up to Barbara’s office to collect my bag. BUT getting me AND my bag to the bus depot in time meant that boda boda was my answer! So, on we got.. the driver, me AND my hiking pack (sitting sideways across the seat of the bike) and my bag of water and snacks for the bus. What a sight! Although I must say, I think those drivers are well accustomed to carrying more than even what seems possible on those little bikes! But I did arrive safe and in one piece – the best $1.50 spent!

So, I loaded my bag on the bus (that sounds like there was some ‘system’ to do that but really those bags just go wherever there is room). As I walked onto the bus I walked into a wall of heat! But gratefully I had asked for a window seat which proved life-saving on the very WARM bus ride. More than anything I think I was just glad to be sitting down and ‘switch off’ knowing that there was nothing to ‘get done’ in the 17hrs to follow. All started off well.. we started driving about 4pm and although it was hot with obviously no air conditioning, the sun started to go down and the air became a little more bearable. We drove for several hours which was actually quite peaceful and quite a beautiful drive once we were out of the city. However.. in a matter of moments, the peaceful atmosphere quickly became not so peaceful. All along the way we had stopped at different points to pick up passengers but this time we stopped and turned around. The driver proceeded to tell us that they had to turn around to pick up a passenger that had been left behind. Even though that meant we would be a little delayed, I didn’t think too much of it. I have learnt to ‘roll with it’ because things like that just happen. BUT.. that was not the general opinion of the rest of the passengers. In seconds, there were people yelling and screaming, up in the aisles carrying on as if the world was about to end. I was near the front, a little confused as to the reason for such anger. Was a time delay really a good enough reason to hit the roof?? Well in the many words that were communicated (a mix of Swahili, luganda and English!), I understood their reasoning. “You can’t turn this bus around!... Who is this passenger anyway? Why is this person so important to inconvenience the rest of us? We can’t trust him! What if he highjacks this bus and steals all that we own. You could be taking us into the bush and do what you like with us. This has NEVER happened in all my times travelling with akamba. That goes against Akamba policy.. Stop this bus right now! I’m going to call the police.. I am going to call the police right now!”. Ahh.. so my peaceful state had quickly been disrupted. In my head I still thought ‘what’s the big deal? We forgot a guy. Just go back and get him and we’ll be on our way.. only an extra 30mins’. But, looking at their fear/anger/frustration it caused me to wonder…. And PRAY! Lol.. It’s funny how events like this push us to pray with greater fervency! And so.. to drown out the yelling, I put on my ipod and chose to ‘dwell on things above’! lol.. I chose songs such as ‘My deliverer, Jesus blood never fails, Mighty to Save, Strong Tower etc’, all with a particular focus on God being greater! I never panicked or got completely worried bc in my head I still didn’t identify with their perspective but at the same time, this was my 1st bus trip across Africa. There was 17 hrs and 3 different countries that we travelled through.

And so you can imagine the situation when we finally picked up this guy. Oh, I felt sorry for him. They had made up their minds that he was a highjacker out to get them ALL! The yelling continued for some time until they got tired. I mean, imagine if that was their plan, you think they would do it in a subtle way, rather than create such an obvious diversion! Lol. But from then on, all was well! We travelled across the border into Kenya, all the while I was trusting that the bus would check that they had ALL passengers before continuing. But I did have an advantage! I’m a MZUNGU! Yes, I am WHITE and female.. so I couldn’t help but stick out like a sore thumb! And in some way, I think they were always checking that I was back on the bus! Several more hours passed and we arrived at Kericho, where I was to change buses! It was now 1am and they were dropping me off to wait an hour and a half for a bur from Nairobi! I was somewhat concerned at where I would be dropped off at this unsafe hour of the night. But to my surprise and by God’s grace, we arrived a Servo and there was even a little akamba office, lights on with about 8 others waiting. I even got to have a cup of good Kenyan tea! Who would thought!?!

All I can say is ‘God is sooo good!’. Once again I was the novelty factor.. everyone wanting to practice their english on me and thinking I was American. All they wanted to talk about was ‘Obama, Obama’ like that would please me or something? It was actually quite funny I must say. I care very much about the American election but I don’t think I’d get much response if I started talking about ‘Kevin Rudd, Kevin Rudd.’!! But there were 2 older ladies who quickly made me their new friend.. sweet times. So at 2:30am we boarded the bus for the final 6hrs of the journey. As we were crossing the border into Tanzania I was hanging out for a shower!!! I at least got to pay 20Ksh to use the bathroom (hmm.. that sounds a little too sophisticated in comparison to reality!). Only one hr to go til I reached Musoma at 8:30am!

It was so exciting to be visiting Jono and Amy again. I first met them when Jono was the Youth Pastor at Clontarf 7 yrs ago. They are now working as missionaries with CMS in Musoma, Tanzania and have been there for 5 years so far. Jono is working primarily in the area of teaching and training which is just amazing. The number of churches is growing, yet there is such a need for pastors and leaders to be trained in Biblical theology, knowledge and leadership. He is working both in the villages as well as lecturing (in Swahili) at Kowak Christian Training Centre! Amy is busy being Mum to 4 precious kids, Lili 8, Isaac 5, Brie 3, & Abe 1. Amy not only homeschools her kids, but also leads weekly Girls Brigade & girls brigade camps, Swahili Bible studies with women, fellowship groups etc. A great team to have in ministry! What a SWEEET moment as the bus arrived at ‘zero zero’ (servo) and I could see Amy and the kids there to pick me up. Ahhh.. Already the bus trip faded into the distance, now that I was there! The last time I was here was in September of 2006! Wow! It was actually a little surreal! Back in 06, I did not know that visit no. 3 was on the horizon! Sooo sweet to see Amy again! And Jono & their 4 sweet kids! It was back in February when after booking my flight to Africa, I called Amy straight away to say I was ‘popping in’ for a visit! So now 9 months later, we were sitting down face to face over a cuppa! There truly is something about ‘a cuppa’! There’s just nothing like it! What a super special time it was. A while ago, I came to the realization that some of my closest friends are truly spread across the globe.. And I am so grateful to God for granting to me such friends, but obviously the distance adds another dimension to ‘connecting’ with each other. And so, to see that God saw fit for us to again spend time together blessed me more than I can say. He doesn’t have to, but I am seeing more and more, that God enjoys blessing His children, even though we certainly don’t deserve it! I also know that as much as I enjoy travel, the greatest fulfillment comes in doing it for the purpose of ministry and fellowship with others. Just seeing a place, does nothing compared to hanging out with those you love.

As I said in the last post, the plan was to stay from the 28th til the 11th because I had booked my flight to SA on Thursday 13th. But in looking at the bus schedule it meant I actually I had to leave Musoma on Sunday afternoon to get back in time. Ahhh.. it just felt too soon to leave! It felt like I had just arrived! To think that I had not seen Amy & Jono for 2 yrs and won't see them again for another 2 yrs was a painful reality! And, I am here in their home!! I just felt I needed to stay longer but we went to church on Sunday, knowing that the bus was leaving at 4pm. Unless something happened, I was getting on that bus back to Kampala. During the service I took some time to journal (bc it was all being spoken in Swahili) and I just felt God deal with me in on a few things.. in a really gentle, compassionate way.

Whose plans?? Mine or His?

Before I left Uganda I had the next 6 wks planned out in my head. For the previous 6 wks God had called me to ‘Seek Him 2day & Trust Him for 2moro’ and yet maybe because I had the supposed security of knowing the next 6wks I became a little complacent, rather than being content. What an awesome revelation! It was as if God were (nicely) challenging me saying ‘So you made your plans, you had it all mapped out but now you don’t like those plans and you want to change them? So, is having everything ‘sorted’ and planned, really any better than seeking me and trusting me one day at a time?’. Good point! I love it how God just knows what is best even when I have no idea! So, I had a decision to make. When to leave for SA? I knew what I wanted to do but there was a dilemma in that I could not rebook my flight until Monday.. but if I don’t get on the bus then there is no other option if my flights could not be changed. As I weighed up where I would rather be, it was not a difficult conclusion to come to. So after church, even with bus ticket in hand I was still not convinced about leaving.. I was actually a little anxious at the concept – just didn’t feel right! And so we were chatting about it and thought well I could just take the plunge and assume that changing my flight would be ok on Monday! So, I got on skype and yes, I called my Dad! I don’t care how old I might or might not be.. my Dad is always an AWESOME source of wisdom and I love him for speaking truth into my life! And how amazing.. When I asked him he actually said this ‘Ah I thought that might happen. I felt myself that you needed to stay there. Just work out your flight tomorrow’! Wow! So in essence that was my confirmation! So about 3 hrs before the bus left, I just decided not to get on! What a change in a matter of moments! But instantaneously I felt a complete peace! On Monday I was able to rebook my flight from Thurs til Monday, meaning I only had to leave by bus on Friday which I did yesterday! An extra 5 days! I guess I just felt like God had given me an amazing gift!

In essence he brought me back to ONE DAY AT A TIME! And this time I embraced it wholeheartedly! (yes, I know.. I’m a little slow on the uptake!) Also while in church I read from James 4:13 ‘Now listen, you who say Today or Tomorrow we will go to this city or that city, carry on business and make money. Why? You do not even know what till happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say ‘If it is the Lord’s will, we will do this or that. As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone who knows the good he ought to do but does not do it, sins’. God has used this many a time to challenge me but this trip, it holds even greater significance! Not that I felt like I was boasting about such plans but I certainly was finding security and comfort in tomorrow’s plans! I felt a peace about booking my flight the first time, but I believe God allowed me to do that so he could reveal in such an obvious way (bc I like obvious!) that His plans are really the best and He really can be trusted! Am I against planning? No.. Bc I believe God has given us the responsibility to be a good steward of our time, our days, our resources and our lives but God has simply taken me into a season to teach me a model of how to live my life in obedience of following him!

So… I arrived in Kampala this morn (sat) and will spend tonight and tomorrow night here with Barbara and John before flying to Cape Town at 7.15am Monday morning. I’ll be spending 10 days down there meeting up with the Pastor I met at the Watoto conference. I am excited at what God is up to and I’m excited at what will unfold in SA. What I’ll be doing I’m not sure but trusting God to open and shut doors. Like ALWAYS, things can change and so be it..

But at this stage, im flying back to Uganda on Thurs 27th. I’ll have a few more days in Kampala before flying back to Australia!! Time flies..As I look at this past week, I am so grateful that God allowed me to change ‘my’ plans! He knew the desires of my heart better than I did! It is a humbling reality that He is so gracious and patient with me, even though he certainly doesn’t have to be. Even though there are times when I think I NEED to know the plan, in reality what I really NEED is to passionately SEEK Him! He promises to give us ALL that we need… But He is the only one who truly KNOWS what we need! May we trust him to know and meet our needs!

And so, what a sweet thing it is to know that friendship is actually God’s idea!! Amazing hey! God desires that we would walk this life ‘together’. What a privilege to walk side by side as brothers and sisters in Christ! May we be people who take great joy in the life of others and love others as Christ first loved us! Imagine if all of our friendships were a true reflection of how Jesus cares for us. Wow.. I have so much to learn! In writing this I am reminded of those people twwho have invested their lives into me and modeled the life of Christ to me as a friend. And to think that even in changing my travel itinerary, he would consider such time spent with friends as such an important priority is just awesome! Jesus’ greatest desire is that we become like Him! May we be extravagant in our encouragement toward others and be bold enough to grow in the likeness of Christ.

My prayer is that I would be content, but not complacent in my walk with Christ.. That I would boldly walk by faith in obedience to the Spirit’s leading.. and may I embrace friendships as God’s way of creating us to be more and more like Jesus Christ! I am grateful that God is sooo patient and gracious despite myself!Thanks for walking life with me.. even through the world of facebook! God can use ALL things.. (even facebook!) to make His glory known!

Love and blessings across the sea and across the globe!

xoxo BEC

No comments: